Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Your two cents?

I try to avoid debates and drama on Facebook, but this time the subject matter has sucked me in and I can't find my way out. So now I must turn to my mostly reasonable and sensible half dozen readers on here :)

The topic is on storm shelters in schools. I am highly interested because I am a former teacher and have had some instances where severe weather was indeed a threat.

Kelly Ogle from the local news channel 9 does a feature called My Two Cents. This time it is in response to a Moore Senator's plan to adjust the school calendar so that school is not in session during prime tornado season.

Here he is responding to the Senator's plan.
Here is the original story.

If you read those links you should be up to speed now.

What is my take on this? I am fully aware that storm shelters in schools is going to be very expensive and take time to construct, but I feel they are still very necessary. I think the Senator's plan is a wonderful temporary plan which can be utilized until our schools are equipped with tornado shelters or safe rooms, even if it takes several years to achieve this.

After reading several of the comments from the Facebook users it is very clear that everyone is not in agreement.

1. People don't want to spend money (increase taxes).
2. There are some who are of the opinion that "good" parents can  pull their children out of school when severe weather is a threat.
3. Schools are not babysitters.

There are many more thoughts out there, but I can only bear to read so many of them.

I think the plan is a fine temporary plan, but I can just see them changing the school calendar and then we turn around and a huge F5 tornado will make its way through in April. Number two really bothered me. These people must not understand nor are familiar with jobs that fall under the category of public servants. Police officers, EM T's, nurses, doctors, teachers and several other occupations require them to report to work and do their job so that other people benefit.

It's really sad because the teachers seem like the biggest losers in this situation. Most teachers do not have the luxury to go and retrieve their own children when severe weather becomes an issue and school is in session. No, they have to stay at school with other people's children and do their best to keep them safe in a building which most likely does not have a storm shelter. Plus several educators are married to each other which makes it even more difficult for them to go get their child. Which is why #2 bothers me so much. Yes, lots of people are very fortunate to be able to leave their job quickly in an emergency situation, they probably work in an office type setting though. If I were still teaching and my child were in school I would probably arrange for my dad to go pick him up and take him to our house where we have a storm shelter. Again, not everyone has these options. I've also stayed at school during severe weather while other teachers were allowed to leave while I took on their students. It wasn't a big deal and usually there were only about 10 or fewer students left in class by then because parents did come and pick them up (which I am not against, parents should be allowed this option and not be penalized). Anyway, teachers have to give and take in those situations, unfortunately.

Number three: schools are not babysitters. Technically no, they are not, but our children do spend nine months out of the year in school and most of the day time hours. A storm shelter can be necessary during other months of the year because tornadoes do occur during other times of the year.

I'm also of the opinion that neighborhood residents should not rely on use of the school's storm shelter. If it is not school hours then the building should not be opened up specifically for people to come take shelter. Sounds harsh or even wasteful huh? Allowing public access causes  an array of issues. How many people can you let in? Can you turn people away? When do you shut the door to cut off access? Even traveling to come up and open the building could be a safety issue if there is little time to take shelter. People should continue to stick with or implement a severe weather plan if they do not already have one.

By having the storm shelters the schools can have an easier time protecting children (no it is not fool proof) and hopefully we will not have tragic situations where students do not survive a tornado while in school.

Now that I have ranted, rambled a bit, and probably left some stuff out, what do you think? Do you have any other thoughts I did not address or have a better plan? I would like to hear from you.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think you missed anything. I think you have a special view {in a good way} on this matter, as I however, don't have feel I'm capable of making such an important decision. You made very valid points on both ends of the spectrum! It's a tough call...

    On one hand, as you mentioned, even with the schedule change - if a tornado comes ripping through in April {with no shelter} then the children and faculty are still in the same boat as they are now. Also, as you mentioned, many parents cannot pick up their child{ren} and have no one that can do so for them. So, there needs to be something in place in the schools to keep them safe.

    However, not just the budget of the shelters seem out of control, but the misuse is what scares me! Everyone and their dogs {literally} will be running to every school to take cover. That is not what they should be intended for, but it will be inevitable. Even if law-makers made it clear that it is not open to the public - when it's life or death - people will still come running. I most certainly wouldn't want to be the person guarding the door, refusing people to come in {whether due to the rules or just because there is no more room!} and knowing that I potentially caused someone to be killed/injured because they couldn't seek shelter.

    Hmmmphhh...

    Its tough.

    I think I read where someone asked why we can't have public shelters built. I don't know if that's a better resolution or not. That idea is mainly for the general public {i.e. ADULTS} This proposal is about the children, though. They are dependent on us as adults to keep them safe. They don't have the option of fleeing to a safer location as an adult does. They are completing relying on us to protect them. That's why I think you're idea is a good compromise. Schedule change = temporary. Slowly build the shelters over time so not to hit everyone with a huge tax. Possibly build them in the highest threat areas first?!?!!

    Sam and I don't have a shelter, but we really want one! When Samson is old enough and in school, if there was a shelter there, I would know he's actually safer at school then he is in his own home. That would be really comforting {instead of terrifying as it is now.. since May 20}.

    Anyway. I just reiterated what you said. LOL! I suppose that's why we can't be upset with what's decided because it's a difficult issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a difficult issue. I was surprised by how people I knew were reacting. One of them was fine because they knew they'd be able to get their own child. That's great but it does not solve the problem. I hope to have that luxury too one day, but the people who are still in the building deserve to be safe.

      Delete
  2. I wondered what you thought, FB said you commented on the story but I couldn't find it.

    Yes, reason #2 bothers me too! It's not that hard to realize the problem. My mind went "I would leave work and get Kaley no matter what.. wait, then there has to be office staff to check kids out to the right people.. wait, how do they handle crowds of scared parents and keep themselves and their own children safe?"

    Maybe not calling them tornado shelters would help. All schools could add reinforced basement classrooms/offices that could be used regularly and also be used for shelter.

    Considering Oklahoma's consistent yearly tornadoes, building in severe weather days like snow days could be useful. (I wrote this and then realized that it leaves kids at home without shelters and people who still had to work wouldn't be helped by this.... Hmm. Like Lauren said, kids might be safer at school than at home.)

    When my girl is in school that is a place that I don't have complete control over. I am for anything that gives her more protection while away from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On days where there was a mass exodus (assemblies, severe weather, etc.) our principal let the parents check their child out through their teacher so that the office would not be swamped. It did leave more responsibility on the teachers, but it worked and it did not count as an absence. So make sure your child's teacher knows you and any other care givers that will be picking them up. If I did not recognize the person the child did not go with the person (which seldom happened).

      Delete
  3. This is a predicament. Personal opinion is to have storm shelters in schools since children are required to be there which I believe creates a level of responsibility and accountability unlike an office that doesn't have state authority to hold you there.

    I also think that gives peace of mind to parents who don't have the luxury. In addiiton to those parents who have jobs that require them to be at work there are also parents that work far from their children's schools and going to pick them up would be dangerous. Remember how crowded the highways were on May 20. It was more dangerous to be on the roads.

    At the end of the day as long as the space in the school can hold the capacity of the school and be a multi-use area so it's not dead space the rest of the year, let's build these things. Until that happens Clay will be picking up Pierce on days bad weather is a real threat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the roads get ridiculous when everybody rushes to get home or go out to get their children. There was a parent who made it to Plaza Towers to pick up their child, but at that particular point the school would not release them because the tornado was too close, but the parent was able to go inside and be with their child. Scary!

      Part of the bond last year in Moore was a proposal to add Pre-K centers to the schools. I am of the opinion they should build these, but make them with safe rooms or shelters where the entire school could fit. (I'm not sure how feasible all of that would be).

      Delete